Saturday, March 5, 2011

Needing to catch up!

I got this blog started and have already fallen behind.  I have done some cooking/baking but it's been rather scattered.  Work has been keeping me very busy!  but it's all good : )  I did make jambalaya the other night, one of my youngests favs, and one that I truly enjoy myself. It's so simple and a one pot dish, makes is easy for a quick weeknight dinner.

If you know me personally or follow me on here for any length of time, you will learn I don't really measure when I am cooking....baking is another story!  I am fairly precise with my measurements when I bake. 

I started off cooking my rice.  I know some, when they make jambalaya, will cook their rice with the other ingredients, but I don't. I pre-cook it then add the rest of the dish.  I added pepper, Old Bay seasoning, garlic powder and some cumin in the water with the rice. I don't use a lot of salt in my cooking, especially in this dish as there is plenty in the ingredients that I use.



While the rice cooked, I prepared the rest of the ingredients that I would be adding.  I was out of the sausage I normally use, so I improvised.  I am also the queen of improvising  LOL  I dug through my goodies and found I had a package of turkey smokies...bingo! 

I usually add the onion about halfway through the cooking time for the rice...I still want a little crunch in the finished dish.  When I cut it, I leave it in a bit bigger than bite size pieces...I want to see it!
Peeled the shrimp and took off the tails, but these don't go in until the very end.

I use one can of red beans and one can of black beans.


One can of fire roasted diced tomatoes and a tablespoon or two of tomato paste and let simmer for about 5-10 minutes

In go the sausage

Simmer at least 10 minutes to make sure everything is heated through....although, it is even better if it can cook longer. 

Last minute add is the shrimp.  Another 5-10 min of simmering and.....

you have the finished product.  I normally make cornbread to go with this.  Sometimes I add jalapenos to it and other times I just do plain.  This night, nobody wanted it so I didn't make it.  Even with the substitute of the smokies, it still turned out great!



No comments:

Post a Comment